| universal trailblazer (more...)

hello.



I'm Syaza.
» facebook / flickr / twitter / instagram / ask.fm «

people.
Batman / Zara / Syaza / Adira / Amira / Huixian / Huixian II / Tiara / Aishah / Nav / Mira / Qila / Shira / Hasmah / Dora / Wan
ask me.

Hit Counter




cognisance
Monday, January 28, 2013, 3:01 AM


Hi, folks. Miss me?

I don't know if you had even noticed, but I have been pretty much 'off the grid' for the past two weeks. I usually just tell people that it's because I don't have a phone or a laptop to access the internet with, but that's a blatant lie. Well, I've lived without my laptop for almost half a year now, and don't even get me started on my phone, but whatever.... Anyway, I could go on social networking sites if I wanted to, but I really just choose not to. I'm not sure whether or not it's my own way of, you know, escaping everything, but it's worked so far. I'm far less dependent on social media or letting people know my every single move anymore, I feel like I have no obligations to others whatsoever and it has surprisingly lifted a huge weight off my shoulders. You should try it too. Also, living without a phone is tremendously freeing. No phone calls, no texts. And if people get mad for not being able to reach me, I actually have a pretty solid reason to tell them, "Sorry, I don't have a phone." It's amazingly emancipating.

I mean, kids (and even adults) these days are so caught up in supplementary things such as the social media and smartphones that they kind of lose touch with the real world, in a way. Come on, you can't even tweet or update your status on Facebook without the remote chance of getting into trouble for it nowadays. With who? Oh, I don't know - parents, siblings, relatives, partners, friends, teachers, employers. Heck, even with random strangers on the internet. I don't know if people realise it or not, but it really does take a toll on your personal and social life. The real one, not the one you have online.

Whatever happened to doing things without seeing one of your friends tweet about it a few seconds later? Whatever happened to eating your food without having people get mad at you for touching your food before they get to Instagram it first? Whatever happened to going out, having a good time and snapping a few pictures with your camera without having people hound you the next day about uploading it on Facebook? Whatever happened to going out for a meal with your friends or family without them focusing all of their attentions on their phones?

Gone are the days where we could just live our lives without having to worry about letting other people know about it online or actually have a conversation with somebody without having them glance over at their phones every two seconds. There was a point in my life where I too was a little caught up with social networking sites, but after living without a phone, laptop or easy access to the internet for the past few months, it made me realise how extremely insignificant those things are. Yeah, technically I'm spending my time writing about it on my blog right now but I don't spend every waking moment on my blog now, do I? Just saying. Wait, I'm getting off topic now.....

There's absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to share about your life with others on social media platforms. I too have a Facebook account, a Twitter account, an Instagram account, etc. I know it can be pretty fun and exciting to use and have. It's also a way for people to cure boredom, keep in touch, kill time or add some excitement to their otherwise monotonous life (for some, of course). But.... I don't know, there's just something severely wrong with how today's society prioritize things in their life and I really don't think I can just stand around pretending it doesn't bother me for any longer. Regardless of what may happen or how people will react, I will say what I think of it, and honestly? I'm not even going to care if you are offended by it or not. I strongly believe that we all have the right to 'have our own opinions/perspectives/thoughts', and we should be able to speak our minds without having another human being shove their version of what they think is right down our throats. It's my honest opinion, and it's the truth. Don't believe me?

Try living without your phone or laptop (or even internet, for that matter) for a few weeks and tell me how that works out for you!

< Forward Rewind >